Wednesday 31 August 2011

Strange days indeed

This last week has been a bit strange and unsettling. Life has been a bit stressful recently. Things have been very hectic at work. Plus there is a chance of promotion coming up very soon. I think that the new job would be good for me, but I do worry that I might be taking on too much. I realise that I am lucky to be able to work at all. However it does seem to take all of my energy. I don't have the stamina that I had 5 years ago. Probably a combination of getting older and the effects of my arthritis. Stress is known to aggravate auto-immune diseases like arthritis and that is probably why I have had such a bad week.

It is odd though, because people have commented that I am looking well at the moment, but in reality I am not feeling too great. At the weekend my whole leg ached from hip to ankle. It also felt heavy and I was very conscious that I was not walking well. Then there is the subject of 'buttock pain'. It is another typical symptom of my illness. Pain at the top of the thigh just under the buttock, very similar to sciatica. A friend once commented that my flare ups must be 'a pain in the ass'. Little did she know how true that was. It is at its worst during long journeys or if I have to sit for extended periods of time. I usually explain my restless fidgeting as back or hip pain, as it can be difficult to tell virtual strangers that my bum is hurting and that is why I can't sit still !

Another thing which didn't help this week was my dentist's appointment. I was expecting to have my wisdom tooth extracted today. However I have been told that the tooth is going to be a bit more difficult to extract than first thought. Therefore I will have to be sedated before it can be removed. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I had psyched myself up for having it done today and I am disappointed that it has not been sorted out. However, on the other hand, I am really glad that my dentist was honest with me. She sat and talked to me for quite a while this afternoon before deciding not to extract my wisdom tooth there and then. I was really impressed that she wanted to do what was best for me rather than what was more convenient (or lucrative) for her. I will now have to wait for an appointment to attend the dental clinic.

Finally on a more positive note I have only had a swollen ankle once in the last seven days and my knee has not been swollen at all. I still think that this because I am eating crystallised ginger and drinking ginger tea every morning. I have absolutely no concrete proof of this but it is helping me to feel better and that is all that matters.

2 comments:

  1. Just a heads up, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. The post is here:http://scarsinside.blogspot.com/2011/09/i-got-me-some-love.html. I thought I'd continue the health blog vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathise with the bum pain! When my leg flares it can spread backwards and so I find it difficult to sit down. Perhaps we can be the Hurting Bums Club?

    ReplyDelete